GXP support into OpenBMC kernel

Verdun, Jean-Marie verdun at hpe.com
Thu Apr 6 07:34:22 AEST 2023

Hi Joel,

We made tremendous progress during the past year regarding the enablement of GXP into the linux kernel. We followed a path to directly upstream into the linux kernel, and we will probably pursue that approach as nick has established contacts with the various kernel maintainers including you. We are getting used to the process even if it has been a rollercoaster initially.

With that said, we are going to upstream shortly the support for various platforms including:

  *   RL300 Gen 11 . A 1U based machine which support Ampere Altra family
  *   DL3x5 family / 1U and 2U AMD based platforms
  *   DL3x0 family / 1U and 2U Intel based platforms

We built PoC for all of these platforms during hardware bring up, as to be sure that we have deep understanding of what might be needed to make work OpenBMC. We are now in a way much better shape regarding this understanding and will start by the RL300. During the PoC we have enabled support with a 5.10 kernel, which is outdated, and Nick is now working on a 6.2 stream.

From what we saw the current kernel for OpenBMC is 6.1 based. What is the plan to move release up ? No worries, we are just trying to align our agenda with yours, knowing that we have newer stuff coming up into 6.2. A backport shall be easier than moving the crappy stuff we made into 5.10.

Would you like us to rely on OpenBMC linux kernel, or just what is available upstream, to avoid to backport our stuff ? We are open to both option, even if I rather prefer option 1, as it will lower workload to everybody.

JM