GXP support into OpenBMC kernel

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Apr 6 09:33:35 AEST 2023

On Wed, 5 Apr 2023 at 21:34, Verdun, Jean-Marie <verdun at hpe.com> wrote:

> We made tremendous progress during the past year regarding the enablement of GXP into the linux kernel. We followed a path to directly upstream into the linux kernel, and we will probably pursue that approach as nick has established contacts with the various kernel maintainers including you. We are getting used to the process even if it has been a rollercoaster initially.

Great work. I saw you presented your work recently and read some good
feedback on social media.

> Would you like us to rely on OpenBMC linux kernel, or just what is available upstream, to avoid to backport our stuff ? We are open to both option, even if I rather prefer option 1, as it will lower workload to everybody.

For now we will stay with the 6.1 tree, as it is a LTS upstream and
there's still some groups who chose to maintain their own patches on
top of the openbmc tree who are only just catching up. The intent of
the openbmc tree is to avoid this fragmentation, and have our work
progress all in one place.

I would be happy to take backports of anything that you have upstream
into 6.1. We can also take work in progress drivers that are on the
upstream lists, as long as we all agree that work will continue to get
that code into mainline.

Cheers,

Joel