An IPMI Request Visualization Tool

Michael Richardson mcr at sandelman.ca
Fri May 22 08:39:46 AEST 2020

Sui Chen <suichen6 at gmail.com> wrote:
    > Thanks for your interest! I'm also using dbus-pcap to track certain
    > issues on the BMC recently, and would like to add support for all DBus
    > messages to the visualization tool, making it somewhat resemble a GUI
    > version of dbus-pcap.  The goal would be to be able to use this tool to
    > investigate both DBus and IPMI. The way I plan to use it would be more
    > similar to how I use GPUView (full-system timeline rather than
    > inspecting individual packets)

Interestingly, I was not that clearly aware of dbus-pcap :-)
I ought to know more, as the lead libpcap maintainer.
Is this visualization tool part of openbmc, or is it a generic dbus
visualization tool?

We recently brought rpcapd into the mix; it can be invoked via ssh.
I wonder if that might help you as a debug tool?

    > If you ask how this user interface might differ from the already
    > existing dbus visualizers such as bustle, my answer would be: it will
    > present information in a way that's more relevant to the BMC, putting a
    > bit more focus on BMC-specific DBus messages, such as HWMon and RedFish
    > DBus messages, to present information in a high signal-noise ratio way.

Would this need to run on the BMC itself?