An IPMI Request Visualization Tool

Sui Chen suichen6 at gmail.com
Fri May 22 02:44:05 AEST 2020

Hello Andrew and Patrick,

Thanks for your interest! I'm also using dbus-pcap to track certain
issues on the BMC recently, and would like to add support for all DBus
messages to the visualization tool, making it somewhat resemble a GUI
version of dbus-pcap.
The goal would be to be able to use this tool to investigate both DBus
and IPMI. The way I plan to use it would be more similar to how I use
GPUView (full-system timeline rather than inspecting individual
packets)

If you ask how this user interface might differ from the already
existing dbus visualizers such as bustle, my answer would be: it will
present information in a way that's more relevant to the BMC, putting
a bit more focus on BMC-specific DBus messages, such as HWMon and
RedFish DBus messages, to present information in a high signal-noise
ratio way.

If this makes sense to you, can I know what might be a better way to proceed:
1) Create a change in openbmc-tools? or,
2) Create a new repository under openbmc? or
3) Create a personal/organization-managed repository and create a pull request?

Thanks,
Sui