kernel params passed by OF/cmdline/"append="

Tony Breeds tony at bakeyournoodle.com
Mon Oct 24 14:39:44 EST 2011

On Sun, Oct 23, 2011 at 12:25:41AM +0800, Ryan Wang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know that there are 3 ways to pass params to kernel:
>     (1) params set in openfirmware
>     (2) when yaboot up, in the prompt "boot: ", specify the label and params
>     (3) params in the item "append=" of yaboot.conf
>
> My question is:
> How can they combine together? I read some code in yaboot src, but found
> that
> only 2 cases are available:
>       (3) + (1)
>       (3) + (2)
> If I set params with method 1, 2 and 3, then I'll get the results as 2 + 3
> only. That is
>
> Is that right?

OF args are passed to the object booted, they are not passed on beyond
that point.  So if you do something like:

boot net conf=etc/fubar

If the ELF servered up is yaboot, yaboot consumes the conf=etc/fubar and
uses your methods 2 and 3 to create the boot args for the kernel you
boot.

If the ELF servered up is a kernel then they're passed on as expected.

Yours Tony