Debian PowerPc installer initramfs-tools generates malformed yaboot.conf created when alternate partitions use UUID= in fstab

Benjamin Cama benoar at free.fr
Tue Jun 29 02:31:17 EST 2010

Hi,

Le dimanche 27 juin 2010 à 22:01 -0300, Rogério Brito a écrit :
> We don't exactly need to have DD's to take care of the PPC problems.
> While that would make things easier, it is not a strict requirement, as
> long as one has a powerpc machine.

Ideally, yes. The problem is that we tend to stumble upon almost
unmaintained packages, strange unique bugs, and with not much people to
test (take for example the snd-powermac vs snd-aoa problem that I think
will never be solved, forever). That make "us" not able to have
definitive clear statements on our problems, and we have no much
authority to push changes that /may/ solve problems, etc. We have poor
patches that don't look good, but that's the only things we have. I
thought that having someone who'd be able to push that a bit more would
help.

> That being said, I don't know if it would be worth investing some time
> more in the migration from yaboot to grub2, since the latter is supposed
> to have many features that the former doesn't.

In a sense, yes, but isn't it too late for squeeze ? As Rick stated,
this bug is a blocker ... Furthermore, I think that most people here
left are newworld users ; what about the other subarches ? I have no
idea what's needed for them.

> Which patch do you have? Did you push it to the maintainers of the
> util-linux package? Or to upstream? Just curious.

Did not push upstream, actually...
A quick look at other bug reports and I see no activity from the
maintainer (Jones LaMont). I also Cc'ed the author of the original
kernel breakage, and benh too, but nothing came back.

Regards,
benjamin