Debian PowerPc installer initramfs-tools generates malformed yaboot.conf created when alternate partitions use UUID= in fstab

Michel Dänzer daenzer at debian.org
Wed Jul 14 20:54:04 EST 2010

On Die, 2010-07-13 at 21:54 -0300, Rogério Brito wrote:

> On 06/28/2010 02:42 PM, Rogério Brito wrote:
> > We could, perhaps, offer two boot loaders for NewWorld ppc machines in Debian
> > and phase out yaboot once we know that GRUB2 works fine. (That still leaves
> > those users of miboot and quik without good alternatives).
>
> My primary powerpc machine (an iBook G3) is halting in some ways that I have not
> yet figured out, which I suppose are related to heat.
>
> That being said, I would like to go on and take some care of powerpc (as I have
> some embedded machines that use it). In particular, I would like to upload a new
> version of yaboot, to be a little more in sync with upstream.
>
> Two questions, therefore:
>
> 1 - is there any problem with that?
> 2 - would there be anybody to sponsor a possible upload to unstable?

I guess I could do that, if nobody more active than me volunteers.

> Also, it would be very nice if we had reports from people that tried to use
> GRUB2 on powerpc.

There should be several reports of mine in the debian-powerpc list
archives. In summary, it's been working on my PowerBook for at least a
year or so, but I'm not sure it's ready in general as a replacement for
yaboot yet. But at least offering it as an alternative for advanced
users might be good anyway.

P.S. AFAICT the current yaboot maintainer is 'Debootloaders Yaboot
Maintainers Team <debootloaders-yaboot at lists.alioth.debian.org>', which
I can't seem to find in the list of recipients.