Diskless clients and yaboot

Erlon Cruz sombrafam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 02:11:02 EST 2010

Hi Stephen,
   You have to append the  kernel options. You can do that either compiling
thjis option in the kernel orappending in yaboot.conf. Is your yaboot
reading the config file (yaboot.conf)?

Regards,
Errlon

Check this out:

_____________
*Diskless Clients on POWER Systems*

Configuration with boot loader

The configuration of diskless clients on power is similar to x86. In spite
of using the pxelinux.0 boot loader, yaboot is used.
- Download the last version from yaboot’s project website.
http://yaboot.ozlabs.org/releases/yaboot-1.3.14.tar.gz
- Install the libs needed to compile it:
yum install e2fsprogs*
- Make it:
cd yaboot-1.3.14; make

Your directory tree on the server must look like this:
/tftpboot/

|-> ppc/

| |

| |-> vmlinuz

| |-> initrd

| |-> yaboot

|-> etc/

| |

| |-> yaboot.conf

Edit yaboot.conf so it looks like this:
# yaboot.conf

# used in tftp server to netboot

init-message = "\nIBM yaboot\nHit <TAB> for boot options.\n\n"

timeout=6000

image=/ppc/vmlinuz

label=linux

initrd=/ppc/initrd

append="ramdisk_size=8192" noapic rw ip=dhcp root=/dev/nfs

read-only

Configuration without boot loader

You can also boot the client without a boot loader. To do so, the bootable
kernel must carry the ‘appended’ options compiled in. Here you can find a
.config file with all options set to boot via bootp without boot loader .
The kernel command line option can be set in:

Kernel options-->
[*] Default bootloader kernel arguments
(ramdisk_size=9216 noapic rw ip=dhcp root=nfs verbose) Initial kernel
command string

Then, in spite of specifying tha yaboot in dhcp.conf, set the kernel image
as default boot file:

host kvm1 {

hardware ethernet 00:0c:29:eb:d3:7e;

next-server 172.16.6.1;

fixed-address 172.16.6.129;

filename "ppc/zImage.pseries";

option root-path "172.16.6.1:/exports/fedora12";

}

On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Stephen Allen <p0036343 at brookes.ac.uk>
wrote:

> I'm having exactly the same problem as Erlon reported on 13th April, but
looking through the archives I can't find a solution.