xserve g5 + yaboot on first disk (/dev/sda) doesn't get to yaboot prompt or continue booting without a video card (headless)

t35t0r t35t0r at gmail.com
Sat Jul 12 05:30:52 EST 2008

Hi,

I installed Linux on an xserve g5 (newworld) using the gentoo 2008 PPC
universal CD which recommends using the yaboot-static 1.3.14  package,
which I think is basically a 32bit binary compiled version for PPC64
systems. The system works great, is able to boot, etc unless I take
out the ATI Radeon 7000 video card and then try to boot in which case
I never see the yaboot prompt on the serial console and the system
never comes up in Linux.

I set the string " screen" in /usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot to " scca" so
that I can see the yaboot prompt and then the I've added
console=ttyS0,57600 as a kernel boot option so that I can see the
kernel booting all via the serial port using a macbook running zterm.
Once again, this works fine as long as I have the video card plugged
into the box. If I take the video card out none of this shows up in
the serial console.

I've got two xserve g5's and only one video card at the moment so if
possible I'd like to be able to boot one or the other without the
video card. The xserve's can boot drives installed with OSX 10.4 or
10.5 without a video card (even done headless OSX installs) so I'm
guessing this is a yaboot problem. Anyone have any ideas or
workarounds? If not I can always purchase another Radeon 7000.

Thanks