tftp troubles

brendan powers brendan0powers at gmail.com
Sat Jan 5 06:51:53 EST 2008

Hello i'm having some trouble with yaboot loading a kernel via tftp.
I'm having this problem on a wide variaty of Macs, Several types of
ibooks, eMacs, Blue, Green, and Slate(clear) Imacs.  The problem is
that the mac will netboot, load yaboot, and yaboot.conf via tftp, and
then not load the kernel. The problem seems to happen inconsistently.
Not happening for long periods of time, and then happening several
times in a row.

Does yaboot retry to download the kernel if it faiis the first time?
My though is that due to some network problem, or software bug, the
kernel faiis to download, and then yaboot stops.

The kernel is 5.0 Megabytes, and here is the tftp log
Jan  4 13:11:59 localhost in.tftpd[19999]: RRQ from x.x.x.x filename yaboot
Jan  4 13:12:00 localhost in.tftpd[20000]: RRQ from x.x.x.x filename yaboot.conf