yaboot and bw g3 wont boot

garrisot at otc.edu garrisot at otc.edu
Fri May 5 13:08:58 EST 2006

I am having trouble getting my BW G3 server to boot gentoo. I have gotten it to
successfully boot once and found out that I forgot USB support. I recompiled
the kernel and copied it to the boot directory. Since then I can not boot the
system. I get the folder with a question mark everytime I try to boot. I have
reinstalled gentoo multiple times with both the 2005.0 and 2006.0 cd's. I have
tried running yabootconfig --chroot /mnt/gentoo, ybin -v and mkofboot -v.
Nothing seems to work. I have completely ran out of ideas.

I have 1 9GB SCSI drive and no IDE drives in the system.

fstab
/dev/sda4 / reiserfs noatime 0 1
/dev/sda3 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,ro 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
shm /dev/shm /tmpfs nodev,nosuid,noexec 0 0

yaboot.conf
boot=/dev/sda2
device=/pci at 80000000/pci-bridge at d/pci9005,e2a0 at 2/@0:
partition=4
root-/dev/sda4
timeout=30
install=/usr/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/lib/yaboot/ofboot

image=/boot/linux-2.6.15
labe=Linux
read-only

fdisk-l
/dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple
/dev/sda2 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap
/dev/sda3 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap
/dev/sda4 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root

I pulled the scsi drive out and installed an 8GB ide drive in the system.
Reinstalled gentoo from scratch (again :( ) and still no go. I checked and my
openfirmware version is 3.1.1, which is one that I have to use yaboot on.