Fwd: Netbooting IBM pSeries

Naveen epnaveen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 22 00:00:09 EST 2006

Hi,

It's been some time since I asked this question. But could test now only.

I have tried netbooting an OpenPower 710 in the way described below using
the yaboot at the Fedora Dev link in the same mail. I was not successfull in
netbooting.

Here is what happens ...

------ x ----------------- x ---------------------------- x
--------------------------- x -----------------------

boot: rhel3
Please wait, loading kernel...

BOOTP: chosen-network-type = ethernet,100,rj45,full
BOOTP: server   IP =        0.0.0.0
BOOTP: requested filename = \ppc\vmlinux
BOOTP: client   IP =        0.0.0.0
BOOTP: client   HW addr =   0 2 55 d3 df b7
BOOTP: gateway  IP =        0.0.0.0
BOOTP: device    /pci at 800000020000003/pci at 2,2/ethernet at 1
BOOTP: loc-code  U787E.001.1234567-P2-C2-T1

BOOTP R = 1 BOOTP S = 2
FILE: /ppc/vmlinux
FINAL Packet Count = 10906
FINAL File Size = 5583409 bytes.
load-base=0x4000
real-base=0xc00000
   Elf32 kernel loaded...

It just hangs after the "Elf32 kernel loaded ..." message. I am trying to
install OS on the system via netboot so using the "netboot.img" shipped on
the RHEL media. If I use the "netboot.img" as the "file-name" in the DHCP
Server conf file, then the system successfully boots to installation
screens. So I think the problem is with booting via yaboot only.

Does any one got a solution for this ?

- Naveen