PRep FAT support

Leonardo Rangel lrangel at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Oct 4 00:20:29 EST 2007

Hi guys,

I was taking a look at yaboot-devel and yaboot-user archives and have seen
lots of messages discussing PRep FAT support on Yaboot.

* on Apr 2005, David Huffman suggested to start working on this:
http://lists.penguinppc.org/yaboot-users/2005/yaboot-users-200504/msg00006.html

* on May 2005, Paul Nasrat and Benjamin Herrenschmidt also suggested it, after
a chat on IRC:
http://lists.penguinppc.org/yaboot-devel/2005/yaboot-devel-200505/msg00023.html

* on Mar 2006, Przemek Iskra sent many patches to the list, including a patch
to do that. People discussed his other patches but not this particular one. It
seems that it was not merged to our repository.
http://ozlabs.org/pipermail/yaboot-devel/2006-March/000024.html

Has anyone tested it? I would like to see this merged, as it would make it
much easier booting off USB keys.

It also allows us to put yaboot, yaboot.conf, kernel and initrd in the same
partition (avoiding yaboot to look at all filesystems in order to find them).

Another pro is that, using a FAT partition for all these files, we save one
partition in our partition table, as we no longer need a prep just to store
yaboot in.

thanks,

Leo