Netbooting like PXE

Benoit Guillon guillon at thalescomputers.fr
Fri Oct 20 18:56:31 EST 2006

Hello,

I currently use yaboot to boot diskless boards, but the booting
configuration can be different from one node to another.

Thus, an interesting evolution of yaboot would be that it can grab a
configuration file whose name is built from its mac address first, and
fallback to the default yaboot.conf file if the mac-file does not exist.
It would behave like PXE clients, or like some X terminals like NCD.

Please find attached a patch that implements it, just to show that the
changes are very small. I can of course send the complete source files,
but I guess that you would code it in a more clean way :-)

What do you think?

Regards

Benoît Guillon                guillon at thalescomputers.fr