initrd allocation

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at redhat.com
Fri Jan 13 21:35:40 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 22:54 -0600, Nathan Lynch wrote:
> Hi-
>
> I have a system where claim is failing for an initrd only slightly
> larger than 4096K.

Out of curiosity what system?

>   The initial 4MB allocation succeeds, but when we
> try to grab another 4MB, the claim fails.  However, yaboot doesn't
> seem to handle this case properly and continues to boot the kernel
> with a truncated initrd.

If you are looking at claims you might also look at the attached patch
from Dave Woodhouse which tries harder to allocate.

> This is with a vendor version of yaboot based on 1.3.12, but looks
> like upstream would have the same problem.

> Couple of questions:
>
> 1) Is there some historical reason for INITRD_CHUNKSIZE to be as large
>    as it is?  I have worked around the issue by defining it to
>    0x100000.

I'm not sure of hand. Sadly the archives are not available.  Could you
summarise your testing with this change, and perhaps we can test on a
few more platforms.

> 2) If a "secondary" claim fails, shouldn't we assert/prom_pause or
>    something?

This sounds reasonable.

Paul