Netbooting like PXE

Benoit Guillon guillon at thalescomputers.fr
Thu Dec 7 20:33:18 EST 2006

Benoit Guillon wrote:

>>>I think Nathan also had a patch to do this more fully supporting
>>>pxelinux fall through.
>>>
>>>Nathan can you send that to list and we can discuss both patches.
>>>

>>Okay, here it is... it's very old, I doubt it applies cleanly and it's
>>probably buggy.  Enjoy :-)
>>
>>This is a combination of three patches (the first two for adding
>>prom_getproplen and ARRAY_SIZE) for getting the pxelinux config file
>>search working.
>>
>>Seems to work fine on power5.
>>

>Thanks much. It sounds much better than my little hack. The only thing I
>think should be changed is that the default config file should be loaded
>when the other cases fail (and not as first trial).
>
>In PXE, the 'default' file is used as fallback. In our platform the
>default file always exists to provide a default spare kernel/initrd for
>any diskless node not registered (that is, any node without a mac-file
>in the /etc directory).
>
>BTW, is it planned to include such a PXE like support in a future
>official yaboot release? It would be great. Anyway, I'll try your patch
>ASAP.

Sorry for the delay, I've tried the patch and it works fine on our
platform (except that I had to adapt a bit the load_config_file since
the patch was not really synced with 1.3.14rc1).

Another PXE feature that I think is quite interesting is the ability to
ask for appending to the kernel arguments the mac-address from which it
has been booted on. In the pxelinux configuration file it is specified
by adding 'ipappend 2'. It then sets the variable BOOTIF=macfile, so
that the initrd can determine from which interface the system booted and
then configure it (dhcp client, etc.).

What do you think?

Regards,

Benoît Guillon                guillon at thalescomputers.fr
TRT/SML                       tel. : 33 (0)4 98 16 33 90

THALES RESEARCH & TECHNOLOGY