yaboot.conf: default= poorly documented?

Edward Catmur ed at catmur.co.uk
Sun Aug 27 07:01:42 EST 2006

Hi,

After trying for hours to understand why my kernel was booting with
blank /proc/cmdline, I realised the reason: the default= setting
in /etc/yaboot.conf was the path to a kernel, not the label of an image.

Currently yaboot.conf(5) has:

       default=name
              Uses the specified image as the default boot image. If `default'
              is  omitted, the image appearing first in the configuration file
              is used.

It should state that setting default= to an image path causes the kernel
to boot without arguments - if that is indeed the intended behaviour.

Ed Catmur