[Skiboot] opal-prd and skiboot updates

Sergey Kachkin s.kachkin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 22 03:12:01 AEDT 2019

Hi all,

i've got a question regarding opal-prd daemon.
If I understand correctly this daemon is must on any OpenPower machine as
it is need to convert PEL to eSEL and send to BMC. So without opal-prd eSEL
will be hidden until the next IPL.

The question is when skiboot is updated we may need to update opal-prd
also.

How to verify that current 'opal-prd' version is fully functional?  For
example, can we manually generate a PEL and verify that opal-prd handles it
correctly?

Updating opal-prd during each  FW upgrade may be complicated and I wonder
if we can go with some minimum opal-prd version for a specific skiboot?

thanks in advance,

regards,
Sergey