[Skiboot] [RFC 0/3] phb4/capp: Provide user tunable for STQ/DMA engine allocation

Andrew Donnellan andrew.donnellan at au1.ibm.com
Mon Sep 10 16:04:23 AEST 2018

On 10/09/18 15:23, Vaibhav Jain wrote:
> Thanks for looking into these patches Andrew,
>
> Andrew Donnellan <andrew.donnellan at au1.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> While NVRAM attributes might be a good idea for bringup/enablement
>> environments I think it's not ideal for doing device-specific
>> configuration in production environments.
> This is more likely AFU specific rather than device specific. Since the
> split between coherent/dma traffic might be specific to an AFU hence its
> difficult to comeup with an optimal default.

Right, when I say "device-specific" I'm really getting at "AFU
specific", obviously for FPGA cards it's about the AFU not about the
FPGA model.

By extension, if skiboot exposed this to Linux, Linux can in turn expose
it via the driver or via the internal kernel API so that AFU-specific
code can set it.

--
Andrew Donnellan              OzLabs, ADL Canberra
andrew.donnellan at au1.ibm.com  IBM Australia Limited