[Skiboot] skiboot 5.4.10

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.ibm.com
Mon May 28 18:07:08 AEST 2018

skiboot-5.4.10
**************

skiboot-5.4.10 was released on Monday May 28th, 2018. It replaces
*skiboot-5.4.9* as the current stable release in the 5.4.x series.

Over *skiboot-5.4.9*, we have a few bug fixes:

* opal-prd: Do not error out on first failure for soft/hard offline.

  The memory errors (CEs and UEs) that are detected as part of
  background memory scrubbing are reported by PRD asynchronously to
  opal-prd along with affected memory ranges. hservice_memory_error()
  converts these ranges into page granularity before hooking up them
  to soft/hard offline-ing infrastructure.

  But the current implementation of hservice_memory_error() does not
  hookup all the pages to soft/hard offline-ing if any of the page
  offline action fails. e.g hard offline can fail for:

  * Pages that are not part of buddy managed pool.

  * Pages that are reserved by kernel using memblock_reserved()

  * Pages that are in use by kernel.

  But for the pages that are in use by user space application, the
  hard offline marks the page as hwpoison, sends SIGBUS signal to kill
  the affected application as recovery action and returns success.

  Hence, It is possible that some of the pages in that memory range
  are in use by application or free. By stopping on first error we
  loose the opportunity to hwpoison the subsequent pages which may be
  free or in use by application. This patch fixes this issue.

* OPAL_PCI_SET_POWER_STATE: fix locking in error paths

  Otherwise we could exit OPAL holding locks, potentially leading to
  all sorts of problems later on.

* p8-i2c: Limit number of retry attempts

  Current we will attempt to start an I2C transaction until it
  succeeds. In the event that the OCC does not release the lock on an
  I2C bus this results in an async token being held forever and the
  kernel thread that started the transaction will block forever while
  waiting for an async completion message. Fix this by limiting the
  number of attempts to start the transaction.

* FSP/CONSOLE: Disable notification on unresponsive consoles

  Commit fd6b71fc fixed the situation where ipmi console was open
  (hvc0) but got data on different console (hvc1).

  During FSP R/R OPAL closes all consoles. After R/R complete FSP
  requests to open hvc1 and sends data on this. If hvc1 registration
  failed or not opened in host kernel then it will not read data and
  results in RCU stalls.

  Note that this is workaround for older kernel where we don't have
  separate irq for each console. Latest kernel works fine without this
  patch.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.