[Skiboot] skiboot 5.9-rc1 released!

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Oct 11 16:36:59 AEDT 2017

Hi all!

I just tagged and pushed v5.9-rc1. Release notes below:

skiboot-5.9-rc1
***************

skiboot v5.9-rc1 was released on Wednesday October 11th 2017. It is
the first release candidate of skiboot 5.9, which will become the new
stable release of skiboot following the 5.8 release, first released
August 31st 2017.

skiboot v5.9-rc1 contains all bug fixes as of skiboot-5.4.7 and
skiboot-5.1.21 (the currently maintained stable releases). We do not
currently expect to do any 5.8.x stable releases.

For how the skiboot stable releases work, see Skiboot stable tree
rules and releases for details.

The current plan is to cut the final 5.9 by October 17th, with skiboot
5.9 being for all POWER8 and POWER9 platforms in op-build v1.20 (Due
October 18th). This release will be targetted to early POWER9 systems.

Over skiboot-5.8, we have the following changes:

New Features
============

POWER8
------

* fast-reset by default (if possible)

  Currently, this is limited to POWER8 systems.

  A normal reboot will, rather than doing a full IPL, go through a
  fast reboot procedure. This reduces the "reboot to petitboot" time
  from minutes to a handful of seconds.

POWER9
------

* POWER9 power management during boot

  Less power should be consumed during boot.

* OPAL_SIGNAL_SYSTEM_RESET for POWER9

  This implements OPAL_SIGNAL_SYSTEM_RESET, using scom registers to
  quiesce the target thread and raise a system reset exception on it.
  It has been tested on DD2 with stop0 ESL=0 and ESL=1 shallow power
  saving modes.

  DD1 is not implemented because it is sufficiently different as to
  make support difficult.

* Enable deep idle states for POWER9

  * SLW: Add support for p9_stop_api

    p9_stop_api's are used to set SPR state on a core wakeup form a
    deeper low power state. p9_stop_api uses  low level platform
    formware and self-restore microcode to restore the sprs to
    requested values.

    Code is taken from : https://github.com/open-power/hostboot/tree/
    master/src/import/chips/p9/procedures/utils/stopreg

  * SLW: Removing timebase related flags for stop4

    When a core enters stop4, it does not loose decrementer and time
    base. Hence removing flags OPAL_PM_DEC_STOP and
    OPAL_PM_TIMEBASE_STOP.

  * SLW: Allow deep states if homer address is known

    Use a common variable has_wakeup_engine instead of has_slw to tell
    if the: - SLW image is populated in case of power8 - CME image is
    populated in case of power9

    Currently we expect CME to be loaded if homer address is known (
    except for simulators)

  * SLW: Configure self-restore for HRMOR

    Make a stop api call using libpore to restore HRMOR register.
    HRMOR needs to be cleared so that when thread exits stop, they
    arrives at linux system_reset vector (0x100).

  * SLW: Add opal_slw_set_reg support for power9

    This OPAL call is made from Linux to OPAL to configure values in
    various SPRs after wakeup from a deep idle state.

* PHB4: CAPP recovery

  CAPP recovery is initiated when a CAPP Machine Check is detected.
  The capp recovery procedure is initiated via a Hypervisor
  Maintenance interrupt (HMI).

  CAPP Machine Check may arise from either an error that results in a
  PHB freeze or from an internal CAPP error with CAPP checkstop FIR
  action. An error that causes a PHB freeze will result in the link
  down signal being asserted. The system continues running and the
  CAPP and PSL will be re-initialized.

  This implements CAPP recovery for POWER9 systems

* Add "wafer-location" property for POWER9

  Extract wafer-location from ECID and add property under xscom node.
  - bits  64:71 are the chip x location (7:0) - bits  72:79 are the
  chip y location (7:0)

  Sample output:

     [root at wsp xscom at 623fc00000000]# lsprop ecid
     ecid             019a00d4 03100718 852c0000 00fd7911
     [root at wsp xscom at 623fc00000000]# lsprop wafer-location
     wafer-location   00000085 0000002c

* Add "wafer-id" property for POWER9

  Wafer id is derived from ECID data. - bits   4:63 are the wafer id (
  ten 6 bit fields each containing a code)

  Sample output:

     [root at wsp xscom at 623fc00000000]# lsprop ecid
     ecid             019a00d4 03100718 852c0000 00fd7911
     [root at wsp xscom at 623fc00000000]# lsprop wafer-id
     wafer-id         "6Q0DG340SO"

* Add "ecid" property under "xscom" node for POWER9. Sample output:

     [root at wsp xscom at 623fc00000000]# lsprop ecid
     ecid             019a00d4 03100718 852c0000 00fd7911

* Add ibm,firmware-versions device tree node

  In P8, hostboot provides mini device tree. It contains "/ibm
  ,firmware-versions" node which has various firmware component
  version details.

  In P9, OPAL is building device tree. This patch adds support to
  parse VERSION section of PNOR and create "/ibm,firmware-versions"
  device tree node.

  Sample output:

     /sys/firmware/devicetree/base/ibm,firmware-versions # lsprop .
     occ              "6a00709"
     skiboot          "v5.7-rc1-p344fb62"
     buildroot        "2017.02.2-7-g23118ce"
     capp-ucode       "9c73e9f"
     petitboot        "v1.4.3-p98b6d83"
     sbe              "02021c6"
     open-power       "witherspoon-v1.17-128-gf1b53c7-dirty"

POWER9
======

* Disable Transactional Memory on Power9 DD 2.1

  Update pa_features_p9[] to disable TM (Transactional Memory). On DD
  2.1 TM is not usable by Linux without other workarounds, so skiboot
  must disable it.

* xscom: Do not print error message for 'chiplet offline' return
  values

  xscom_read/write operations returns CHIPLET_OFFLINE when chiplet is
  offline. Some multicast xscom_read/write requests from HBRT results
  in xscom operation on offline chiplet(s) and printing below warnings
  in OPAL console:

     [ 135.036327572,3] XSCOM: Read failed, ret = -14
     [ 135.092689829,3] XSCOM: Read failed, ret = -14

  Some SCOM users can deal correctly with this error code (notably
  opal-prd), so the error message is (in practice) erroneous.

* IMC: Fix the core_imc_event_mask

  CORE_IMC_EVENT_MASK is a scom that contains bits to control event
  sampling for different machine state for core imc. The current
  event-mask setting sample events only on host kernel (hypervisor)
  and host userspace.

  Patch to enable the sampling of events in other machine states (like
  guest kernel and guest userspace).

* IMC: Update the nest_pmus array with occ/gpe microcode uav updates

  OOC/gpe nest microcode maintains the list of individual nest units
  supported. Sync the recent updates to the UAV with nest_pmus array.

  For reference occ/gpr microcode link for the UAV: https://github.com
  /open-power/occ/blob/master/src/occ_gpe1/gpe1_24x7.h

* Parse IOSLOT information from HDAT

  Add structure definitions that describe the physical PCIe topology
  of a system and parse them into the device-tree based PCIe slot
  description.

* idle: user context state loss flags fix for stop states

  The "lite" stop variants with PSSCR[ESL]=PSSCR[EC]=1 do not lose
  user context, while the non-lite variants do (ESL: enable state
  loss).

  Some of the POWER9 idle states had these wrong.

CAPI
----

* POWER9 DD2 update

  The CAPI initialization sequence has been updated in DD2. This patch
  adapts to the changes, retaining compatibility with DD1. The patch
  includes some changes to DD1 fix-ups as well.

* Load CAPP microcode for POWER9 DD2.0 and DD2.1

* capi: Mask Psl Credit timeout error for POWER9

  Mask the PSL credit timeout error in CAPP FIR Mask register bit(46).
  As per the h/w team this error is now deprecated and shouldn't cause
  any fir-action for P9.

NVLINK2
-------

A notabale change is that we now generate the device tree description
of NVLINK based on the HDAT we get from hostboot. Since Hostboot will
generate HDAT based on VPD, you now *MUST* have correct VPD programmed
or we will *default* to a Sequoia layout, which will lead to random
problems if you are not booting a Sequoia Witherspoon planar. In the
case of booting with old VPD and/or Hostboot, we print a **giant scary
warning** in order to scare you.

* npu2: Read slot label from the HDAT link node

  Binding GPU to emulated NPU PCI devices is done using the slot
  labels since the NPU devices do not have a patching slot node we
  need to copy the label in here.

* npu2: Copy link speed from the npu HDAT node

  This needs to be in the PCI device node so the speed of the NVLink
  can be passed to the GPU driver.

* npu2: hw-procedures: Add settings to PHY_RESET

  Set a few new values in the PHY_RESET procedure, as specified by our
  updated programming guide documentation.

* Parse NVLink information from HDAT

  Add the per-chip structures that descibe how the
  A-Bus/NVLink/OpenCAPI phy is configured. This generates the npu at xyz
  nodes for each chip on systems that support it.

* npu2: Add vendor cap for IRQ testing

  Provide a way to test recoverable data link interrupts via a new
  vendor capability byte.

* npu2: Enable recoverable data link (no-stall) interrupts

  Allow the NPU2 to trigger "recoverable data link" interrupts.

* npu2: Implement basic FLR (Function Level Reset)

* npu2: hw-procedures: Update PHY DC calibration procedure

* npu2: hw-procedures: Change rx_pr_phase_step value

XIVE
----

* xive: Fix opal_xive_dump_tm() to access W2 properly. The HW only
  supported limited access sizes.

* xive: Make opal_xive_allocate_irq() properly try all chips

  When requested via OPAL_XIVE_ANY_CHIP, we need to try all chips. We
  first try the current one (on which the caller sits) and if that
  fails, we iterate all chips until the allocation succeeds.

* xive: Fix initialization & cleanup of HW thread contexts

  Instead of trying to "pull" everything and clear VT (which didn't
  work and caused some FIRs to be set), instead just clear and then
  set the PTER thread enable bit. This has the side effect of
  completely resetting the corresponding thread context.

  This fixes the spurrious XIVE FIRs reported by PRD and fircheck

* xive: Add debug option for detecting misrouted IPI in emulation

  This is high overhead so we don't enable it by default even in debug
  builds, it's also a bit messy, but it allowed me to detect and debug
  a locking issue earlier so it can be useful.

* xive: Increase the interrupt "gap" on debug builds

  We normally allocate IPIs from 0x10. Make that 0x1000 on debug
  builds to limit the chances of overlapping with Linux interrupt
  numbers which makes debugging code that confuses them easier.

  Also add a warning in emulation if we get an interrupt in the queue
  whose number is below the gap.

* xive: Fix locking around cache scrub & watch

  Thankfully the missing locking only affects debug code and init code
  that doesn't run concurrently. Also adds a DEBUG option that checks
  the lock is properly held.

* xive: Workaround HW issue with scrub facility

  Without this, we sometimes don't observe from a CPU the values
  written to the ENDs or NVTs via the cache watch.

* xive: Add exerciser for cache watch/scrub facility in DEBUG builds

* xive: Make assertion in xive_eq_for_target() more informative

* xive: Add debug code to check initial cache updates

* xive: Ensure pressure relief interrupts are disabled

  We don't use them and we hijack the VP field with their
  configuration to store the EQ reference, so make sure the kernel or
  guest can't turn them back on by doing MMIO writes to ACK#

* xive: Don't try setting the reserved ACK# field in VPs

  That doesn't work, the HW doesn't implement it in the cache watch
  facility anyway.

* xive: Remove useless memory barriers in VP/EQ inits

  We no longer update "live" memory structures, we use a temporary
  copy on the stack and update the actual memory structure using the
  cache watch, so those barriers are pointless.

PHB4
----

* phb4: Mask RXE_ARB: DEC Stage Valid Error

  Change the inits to mask out the RXE ARB: DEC Stage Valid Error (bit
  370. This has been a fatal error but should be informational only.

  This update will be in the next version of the phb4 workbook.

* phb4: Add additional adapter to retrain whitelist

  The single port version of the ConnectX-5 has a different device ID
  0x1017. Updated descriptions to match pciutils database.

* PHB4: Default to PCIe GEN3 on POWER9 DD2.00

  You can use the NVRAM override for DD2.00 screened parts.

* phb4: Retrain link if degraded

  On P9 Scale Out (Nimbus) DD2.0 and Scale in (Cumulus) DD1.0 (and
  below) the PCIe PHY can lockup causing training issues. This can
  cause a degradation in speed or width in ~5% of training cases
  (depending on the card). This is fixed in later chip revisions. This
  issue can also cause PCIe links to not train at all, but this case
  is already handled.

  This patch checks if the PCIe link has trained optimally and if not,
  does a full PHB reset (to fix the PHY lockup) and retrain.

  One complication is some devices are known to train degraded unless
  device specific configuration is performed. Because of this, we only
  retrain when the device is in a whitelist. All devices in the
  current whitelist have been testing on a P9DSU/Boston, ZZ and
  Witherspoon.

  We always gather information on the link and print it in the logs
  even if the card is not in the whitelist.

  For testing purposes, there's an nvram to retry all PCIe cards and
  all P9 chips when a degraded link is detected. The new option is
  'pci-retry-all=true' which can be set using: *nvram -p ibm,skiboot
  --update-config pci-retry-all=true*. This option may increase the
  boot time if used on a badly behaving card.

IBM FSP platforms
=================

* FSP/NVRAM: Handle "get vNVRAM statistics" command

  FSP sends MBOX command (cmd : 0xEB, subcmd : 0x05, mod : 0x00) to
  get vNVRAM statistics. OPAL doesn't maintain any such statistics.
  Hence return FSP_STATUS_INVALID_SUBCMD.

  Fixes these messages appearing in the OPAL log:

     [16944.384670488,3] FSP: Unhandled message eb0500
     [16944.474110465,3] FSP: Unhandled message eb0500
     [16945.111280784,3] FSP: Unhandled message eb0500
     [16945.293393485,3] FSP: Unhandled message eb0500

* fsp: Move common prints to trace

  These two prints just end up filling the skiboot logs on any machine
  that's been booted for more than a few hours.

  They have never been useful, so make them trace level. They were: ::
     SURV: Received heartbeat acknowledge from FSP SURV: Sending the
     heartbeat command to FSP

BMC based systems
=================

* hw/lpc-uart: read from RBR to clear character timeout interrupts

  When using the aspeed SUART, we see a condition where the UART sends
  continuous character timeout interrupts. This change adds a (heavily
  commented) dummy read from the RBR to clear the interrupt condition
  on init.

  This was observed on p9dsu systems, but likely applies to other
  systems using the SUART.

* astbmc: Add methods for handing Device Tree based slots e.g. ones
  from HDAT on POWER9.

General
=======

* ipmi: Convert common debug prints to trace

  OPAL logs messages for every IPMI request from host. Sometime OPAL
  console is filled with only these messages. This path is pretty
  stable now and we have enough logs to cover bad path. Hence lets
  convert these debug message to trace/info message. Examples are:

     [ 1356.423958816,7] opal_ipmi_recv(cmd: 0xf0 netfn: 0x3b resp_size: 0x02)
     [ 1356.430774496,7] opal_ipmi_send(cmd: 0xf0 netfn: 0x3a len: 0x3b)
     [ 1356.430797392,7] BT: seq 0x20 netfn 0x3a cmd 0xf0: Message sent to host
     [ 1356.431668496,7] BT: seq 0x20 netfn 0x3a cmd 0xf0: IPMI MSG done

* libflash/file: Handle short read()s and write()s correctly

  Currently we don't move the buffer along for a short read() or
  write() and nor do we request only the remaining amount.

* hw/p8-i2c: Rework timeout handling

  Currently we treat a timeout as a hard failure and will
  automatically fail any transations that hit their timeout. This
  results in unnecessarily failing I2C requests if interrupts are
  dropped, etc. Although these are bad things that we should log we
  can handle them better by checking the actual hardware status and
  completing the transation if there are no real errors. This patch
  reworks the timeout handling to check the status and continue the
  transaction if it can. if it can while logging an error if it
  detects a timeout due to a dropped interrupt.

* core/flash: Only expect ELF header for BOOTKERNEL partition flash
  resource

  When loading a flash resource which isn't signed (secure and trusted
  boot) and which doesn't have a subpartition, we assume it's the
  BOOTKERNEL since previously this was the only such resource. Thus we
  also assumed it had an ELF header which we parsed to get the size of
  the partition rather than trusting the actual_size field in the FFS
  header. A previous commit (9727fe3 DT: Add ibm,firmware-versions
  node) added the version resource which isn't signed and also doesn't
  have a subpartition, thus we expect it to have an ELF header. It
  doesn't so we print the error message "FLASH: Invalid ELF header
  part VERSION".

  It is a fluke that this works currently since we load the secure
  boot header unconditionally and this happen to be the same size as
  the version partition. We also don't update the return code on error
  so happen to return OPAL_SUCCESS.

  To make this explicitly correct; only check for an ELF header if we
  are loading the BOOTKERNEL resource, otherwise use the partition
  size from the FFS header. Also set the return code on error so we
  don't erroneously return OPAL_SUCCESS. Add a check that the resource
  will fit in the supplied buffer to prevent buffer overrun.

* flash: Support adding the no-erase property to flash

  The mbox protocol explicitly states that an erase is not required
  before a write. This means that issuing an erase from userspace,
  through the mtd device, and back returns a successful operation that
  does nothing. Unfortunately, this makes userspace tools unhappy.
  Linux MTD devices support the MTD_NO_ERASE flag which conveys that
  writes do not require erases on the underlying flash devices. We
  should set this property on all of our devices which do not require
  erases to be performed.

  NOTE: This still requires a linux kernel component to set the
  MTD_NO_ERASE flag from the device tree property.

Utilities
=========

* external/gard: Clear entire guard partition instead of entry by
  entry

  When using the current implementation of the gard tool to ecc clear
  the entire GUARD partition it is done one gard record at a time.
  While this may be ok when accessing the actual flash this is very
  slow when done from the host over the mbox protocol (on the order of
  4 minutes) because the bmc side is required to do many read, erase,
  writes under the hood.

  Fix this by rewriting the gard tool reset_partition() function. Now
  we allocate all the erased guard entries and (if required) apply ecc
  to the entire buffer. Then we can do one big erase and write of the
  entire partition. This reduces the time to clear the guard partition
  to on the order of 4 seconds.

* opal-prd: Fix opal-prd command line options

  HBRT OCC reset interface depends on service processor type.

  * FSP: reset_pm_complex()

  * BMC: process_occ_reset()

  We have both *occ* and *pm-complex* command line interfaces. This
  patch adds support to dispaly appropriate message depending on
  system type.

  +-----+----------------------+------------------------------+
  | SP  | Command              | Action                       |
  +=====+======================+==============================+
  | FSP | opal-prd occ         | display error message        |
  +-----+----------------------+------------------------------+
  | FSP | opal-prd pm-complex  | Call pm_complex_reset()      |
  +-----+----------------------+------------------------------+
  | BMC | opal-prd occ         | Call process_occ_reset()     |
  +-----+----------------------+------------------------------+
  | BMC | opal-prd pm-complex  | display error message        |
  +-----+----------------------+------------------------------+

* opal-prd: detect service processor type and then make appropriate
  occ reset call.

* pflash: Fix erase command for unaligned start address

  The erase_range() function handles erasing the flash for a given
  start address and length, and can handle an unaligned start address
  and length. However in the unaligned start address case we are
  incorrectly calculating the remaining size which can lead to
  incomplete erases.

  If we're going to update the remaining size based on what the start
  address was then we probably want to do that before we overide the
  origin start address. So rearrange the code so that this is indeed
  the case.

* external/gard: Print an error if run on an FSP system

Simulators
==========

* mambo: Add mambo socket program

  This adds a program that can be run inside a mambo simulator in
  linux userspace which enables TCP sockets to be proxied in and out
  of the simulator to the host.

  Unlike mambo bogusnet, it's requires no linux or skiboot specific
  drivers/infrastructure to run.

  Run inside the simulator:

  * to forward host ssh connections to sim ssh server: "./mambo-
    socket-proxy -h 10022 -s 22", then connect to port 10022 on your
    host with "ssh -p 10022 localhost"

  * to allow http proxy access from inside the sim to local http
    proxy: "./mambo-socket-proxy -b proxy.mynetwork -h 3128 -s 3128"

  Multiple connections are supported.

* idle: disable stop*_lite POWER9 idle states for Mambo platform

  Mambo prior to Mambo.7.8.21 had a bug where the stop idle
  instruction with PSSCR[ESL]=PSSCR[EC]=0 would resume with MSR set as
  though it had taken a system reset interrupt.

  Linux currently executes this instruction with MSR already set that
  way, so the problem went unnoticed. A proposed patch to Linux
  changes that, and causes the idle code to crash. Work around this by
  disabling lite stop states for the mambo platform for now.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.