[Skiboot] skiboot v5.7-rc2 released

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Jul 13 16:21:28 AEST 2017

Hi all,

I just tagged and pushed skiboot v5.7-rc2. Release notes below:

skiboot-5.7-rc2
***************

skiboot v5.7-rc2 was released on Thursday July 13th 2017. It is the
second release candidate of skiboot 5.7, which will become the new
stable release of skiboot following the 5.6 release, first released
24th May 2017.

skiboot v5.7-rc2 contains all bug fixes as of skiboot-5.4.6 and
skiboot-5.1.19 (the currently maintained stable releases). We do not
currently expect to do any 5.6.x stable releases.

For how the skiboot stable releases work, see Skiboot stable tree
rules and releases for details.

The current plan is to cut the final 5.7 in the next week or so, with
skiboot 5.7 being for all POWER8 and POWER9 platforms in op-build
v1.18 (due July 12th, but will come *after* skiboot 5.7).

This is the second release using the new regular six week release
cycle, similar to op-build, but slightly offset to allow for a short
stabilisation period. Expected release dates and contents are tracked
using GitHub milestone and issues: https://github.com/open-
power/skiboot/milestones

Over skiboot-5.7-rc1, we have the following changes:

POWER9
======

There are many important changes for POWER9 DD1 and DD2 systems.
POWER9 support should be considered in development and skiboot 5.7 is
certainly **NOT** suitable for POWER9 production environments.

* HDAT: Add IPMI sensor data under /bmc node

* numa/associativity: Add a new level of NUMA for GPU's

  Today we have an issue where the NUMA nodes corresponding to GPU's
  have the same affinity/distance as normal memory nodes. Our
  reference-points today supports two levels [0x4, 0x4] for normal
  systems and [0x4, 0x3] for Power8E systems. This patch adds a new
  level [0x4, X, 0x2] and uses node-id as at all levels for the GPU.

* xive: Enable memory backing of queues

  This dedicates 6x64k pages of memory permanently for the XIVE to use
  for internal queue overflow. This allows the XIVE to deal with some
  corner cases where the internal queues might prove insufficient.

* xive: Properly get rid of donated indirect pages during reset

  Otherwise they keep being used accross kexec causing memory
  corruption in subsequent kernels once KVM has been used.

* cpu: Better handle unknown flags in opal_reinit_cpus()

  At the moment, if we get passed flags we don't know about, we return
  OPAL_UNSUPPORTED but we still perform whatever actions was requied
  by the flags we do support. Additionally, on P8, we attempt a SLW
  re-init which hasn't been supported since Murano DD2.0 and will
  crash your system.

  It's too late to fix on existing systems so Linux will have to be
  careful at least on P8, but to avoid future issues let's clean that
  up, make sure we only use slw_reinit() when HILE isn't supported.

* cpu: Unconditionally cleanup TLBs on P9 in opal_reinit_cpus()

  This can work around problems where Linux fails to properly cleanup
  part or all of the TLB on kexec.

* Fix scom addresses for power9 nx checkstop hmi handling.

  Scom addresses for NX status, DMA & ENGINE FIR and PBI FIR has
  changed for Power9. Fixup thoes while handling nx checkstop for
  Power9.

* Fix scom addresses for power9 core checkstop hmi handling.

  Scom addresses for CORE FIR (Fault Isolation Register) and
  Malfunction Alert Register has changed for Power9. Fixup those while
  handling core checkstop for Power9.

  Without this change HMI handler fails to check for correct reason
  for core checkstop on Power9.

* core/mem_region: check return value of add_region

  The only sensible thing to do if this fails is to abort() as we've
  likely just failed reserving reserved memory regions, and nothing
  good comes from that.

PHB4
----

* phb4: Do more retries on link training failures Currently we only
  retry once when we have a link training failure. This changes this
  to be 3 retries as 1 retry is not giving us enough reliablity.

  This will increase the boot time, especially on systems where we
  incorrectly detect a link presence when there really is nothing
  present. I'll post a followup patch to optimise our timings to help
  mitigate this later.

* phb4: Workaround phy lockup by doing full PHB reset on retry

  For PHB4 it's possible that the phy may end up in a bad state where
  it can no longer recieve data. This can manifest as the link not
  retraining. A simple PERST will not clear this. The PHB must be
  completely reset.

  This changes the retry state to CRESET to do this.

  This issue may also manifest itself as the link training in a
  degraded state (lower speed or narrower width). This patch doesn't
  attempt to fix that (will come later).

* pci: Add ability to trace timing

  PCI link training is responsible for a huge chunk of the skiboot
  boot time, so add the ability to trace it waiting in the main state
  machine.

* pci: Print resetting PHB notice at higher log level

  Currently during boot there a long delay while we wait for the PHBs
  to be reset and train. During this time, there is no output from
  skiboot and the last message doesn't give an indication of what's
  happening.

  This boosts the PHB reset message from info to notice so users can
  see what's happening during this long period of waiting.

* phb4: Only set one bit in nfir

  The MPIPL procedure says to only set bit 26 when forcing the PEC
  into freeze mode. Currently we set bits 24-27.

  This changes the code to follow spec and only set bit 26.

* phb4: Fix order of pfir/nfir clearing in CRESET

  According to the workbook, pfir must be cleared before the nfir. The
  way we have it now causes the nfir to not clear properly in some
  error circumstances.

  This swaps the order to match the workbook.

* phb4: Remove incorrect state transition

  When waiting in PHB4_SLOT_CRESET_WAIT_CQ for transations to end, we
  incorrectly move onto the next state.  Generally we don't hit this
  as the transactions have ended already anyway.

  This removes the incorrect state transition.

* phb4: Set default lane equalisation

  Set default lane equalisation if there is nothing in the device-
  tree.

  Default value taken from hdat and confirmed by hardware team.
  Neatens the code up a bit too.

* hdata: Fix phb4 lane-eq property generation

  The lane-eq data we get from hdat is all 7s but what we end up in
  the device tree is:

     xscom at 603fc00000000/pbcq at 4010c00/stack at 0/ibm,lane-eq
                      00000000 31c339e0 00000000 0000000c
                      00000000 00000000 00000000 00000000
                      00000000 31c30000 77777777 77777777
                      77777777 77777777 77777777 77777777

  This fixes grabbing the properties from hdat and fixes the call to
  put them in the device tree.

* phb4: Fix PHB4 fence recovery.

  We had a few problems:

  * We used the wrong register to trigger the reset (spec bug)

  * We should clear the PFIR and NFIR while the reset is asserted

  * ... and in the right order !

  * We should only apply the DD1 workaround after the reset has been
    lifted.

  * We should ensure we use ASB whenever we are fenced or doing a
    CRESET

  * Make config ops write with ASB

* phb4: Verbose EEH options

  Enabled via nvram pci-eeh-verbose=true. ie.

     nvram -p ibm,skiboot --update-config pci-eeh-verbose=true

* phb4: Print more info when PHB fences

  For now at PHBERR level. We don't have room in the diags data passed
  to Linux for these unfortunately.

Testing/development
===================

* lpc: remove double LPC prefix from messages

* opal-ci/fetch-debian-jessie-installer: follow redirects Fixes some
  CI failures

* test/qemu-jessie: bail out fast on kernel panic

* test/qemu-jessie: dump boot log on failure

* travis: add fedora26

* xz: add fallthrough annotations to silence GCC7 warning

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.