[Skiboot] [RFC] external/pflash: Change --bmc behaviour and add --direct

Cyril Bur cyril.bur at au1.ibm.com
Tue Jan 19 09:23:38 AEDT 2016

On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:53:51 +1030
Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Cyril Bur <cyril.bur at au1.ibm.com> wrote:
> > In order to preserve the current behavior of the --bmc a new flag --direct
> > is called which will use the flash controller directly. This option now
> > includes a large warning so as to prevent any accidental bricking.
>
> I'm not all that keen on changing the meaning of --bmc.

I can't say this was my favourite idea either but I'm trying to protect people
from themselves. In a perfect world I would educate the masses on what --bmc
does and how it's a pretty terrible idea on an AMI BMC but I figure it's
(significantly) easier to change your habits than to try to educate the
masses.

> If a user tries --bmc on a AMI BMC, could we look for a mtd device and
> in that case suggest the user use --mtd?

How about make --bmc take two options "mtd" and "direct" and have it default to
mtd?