[Skiboot] documentation terminology for OS

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Thu Aug 4 14:50:28 AEST 2016

So, we have a bit of a mixture in what we call the OS... I've tried to
standardise on "the host OS" to clearly differentiate from a guest
(which to some at IBM, due to PHYP heritage was 'the OS'). I also kept
away from 'hypervisor' as, well, you may not be using the OS as a
hypervisor. Also, 'Linux' is inaccurate as it may not be linux, and that
doesn't clarify between host and guest.

Now, just for an extra spanner: https://github.com/open-power-host-os

Which now makes the terminology "the host OS" ambiguous with "the Host OS".

So, anyone have any ideas?

I'm tempted to just say "the OS" and string replace everywhere while in
grumpy maintainer mode.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.