[Skiboot] opal-elog-parse for eSEL?

Vasant Hegde hegdevasant at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Fri Sep 18 12:42:19 AEST 2015

On 09/18/2015 02:28 AM, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> writes:
>>> Considering our eSEL is a header around a PEL (right?) could we have
>>> opal-elog-parse be able to take off the wrapper and just parse it rather

That's correct. I have experimented and it works fine. All we have to do is to
remove
SEL header part.

>>> than have a separate eSel.pl script floating around a few people?

Agreed. But this script is coming from hostboot (?) guys. We have to work with them

>> As I understand it, the main thing that esel.pl does is the correct ipmi
>> transactions to actually download the ESEL from the BMC.

We can do this .. Its pretty much reverse procedure of eSEL logging from OPAL.

> I think you can also download them from the BMC web UI.... well, at
> least you get something to download for some events.

At least on x86 machine they allow us to download :-) So I assume its supported
here as well.. (only assumption, I never tried it myself).

Note that currently I'm looking into inband support for retrieving serviceable
eSEL event (whatever logged by OPAL, Hostboot and OCC?) .. Pretty much similar
to what we do in FSP based machine..
If we add that support, then we don't need to modify opal-elog-parse.. It will
just work.. So I think lets wait until we sort out inband mechanism..

-Vasant