[Skiboot] [Question] How can the console be attached to display/keyboard?

Jeremy Kerr jk at ozlabs.org
Tue Nov 10 17:30:31 AEDT 2015

Hi,

> I am using a powerPC server, who has some issue with its serial
> hardware.  I have physically connected display/keyboard to the server.
> And when machine starts, the petitboot screen appears at display and can
> be controlled by keyboard.
>
> But after I choose the Ubuntu version in the petitboot , and press
> "enter", the console is redirected into serial console. Then the control
> was lost.
>
> What parameter I can use to attach the output/input to physical
> display/keyboard?

This is dependent on the OS you're booting - it will need its own
support for the graphics device that you're using on your machine there.

I'm assuming that this is an OpenPower machine, which has an ast
graphics device. Ubuntu 14.04.3 should have support for this device by
default, and, I believe, later versions too. Are you booting into the
Ubuntu installer, or an already-installed Ubuntu?

Also, this question might be more appropriate for the OPAL firmware
emailing list, which I have CCed.

Regards,

Jeremy