[Skiboot] op-build: new branch master-next

Nicholas E Bofferding bofferdn at us.ibm.com
Sat Mar 7 01:25:36 AEDT 2015

I suppose that implies Jenkins jobs that are supposed to be testing the
bleeding edge need to be altered to pull from master-next as well.

Nick Bofferding
POWER Firmware Development | Dept OFKA
bofferdn at us.ibm.com | 045-2A-010
External: (512) 286-5389, ITN: 23635389
Tie Line: 363-5389, Austin Site: 3-5389

From:	Patrick Williams III/Rochester/IBM
To:	HOSTBOOT-PFD-ALL, skiboot at lists.ozlabs.org
Date:	03/06/2015 03:24 AM
Subject:	op-build: new branch master-next

With the release of op-build v1.0, I created a new branch to prepare for
v1.1 called 'master-next'.  This allows us to easily make v1.0.x releases
on top of v1.0 to fix critical problems until v1.1 is released without
having to create and manage a branch for every release.

My intention is that master-next can always be seen as the "release
candidate" for the next op-build release.  In order to accomplish this, all
pull requests for new functionality should go against the master-next
branch.  Only critical fixes for an existing release, such as v1.0, should
go into master.

We should be doing additional releases on a fairly regular cadence for the
foreseeable future.  I suspect this will be somewhere between 2 weeks and a
month.  Near the point of release, we will take everything from
'master-next' and merge it into 'master' and create a tag on 'master' for
the next release.  I say 'near' because I haven't decided if we will create
formal -rc tags and if they should be on master or master-next.  If you
have an opinion, please let me know.

Patrick Williams
Power Firmware Development,
Bldg 045-2/C034