[Quickcall] Fedora 13 anybody?

David Gibson logitech at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Sat Dec 11 23:04:04 EST 2010

On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 01:01:23PM -0800, Michael Cheselka wrote:
> Hello Ed,
>
> It always says "disabled".  I'm puzzled by this too.

Yeah, you're not the first.  That "Speakerphone(disabled)" string is
reported from the hardware itself (well, the embedded firmware,
presumably).  I'm not aware of any way to change it.

My theory is that it reports itself this way so that if the device is
just plugged into a windows machine, the user sees the "disabled" and
realizes they need to install the specific drivers for it to make it
work.  Because the device always reports as a USB audio class device
it will show up as an audio device without the Logitech software, but
it won't do much because the volumes are locked at zero until the
drivers give a magic initialization command.  Once the drivers are
installed, I'm guessing they override what the hardware reports as the
name so that the "disabled" no longer shows up.

It may be possible to do something more-or-less equivalent under
Linux, but I haven't worked out how (well, nor have I tried very hard,
yet).

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson