Saving a boot entry

Samuel Mendoza-Jonas sam at mendozajonas.com
Wed Apr 5 11:28:33 AEST 2017

On Tue, 2017-04-04 at 17:56 +0200, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Petitboot folks,
>

> Following the article *Installing Ubuntu on an IBM Power System LC
> server* [1], I am creating a new entry in Petitboot by pressing *n* in
> the main menu.
>
> Unfortunately this entry doesn’t seem to be save across boots. Entering
> the URL over the Raritan KVM switch or the attached keyboard is quite
> cumbersome.
>
> Reading the options in the bottom line of Petitboot, I couldn’t find a
> way to save that. The Web page [2] also doesn’t mention it.
>
> Could you please help me?
>

> Kind regards,
>
> Paul

Hi Paul,

It sounds like the documentation could be a bit more clear here. New boot
options created by the user (eg via 'n') are temporary and only exist for
 that 'session'.
Usually if you want a 'permanent' boot option you would advertise it as a
PXE option from your DHCP server. There is also a method to do this with
static IP settings.

If this is just for installing Ubuntu, do you need it to persist across
reboots? If you have multiple machines this would indeed be a pain to
enter the details for each one, in which case setting it as a PXE option
to be automatically discovered would be ideal. Potentially we could look
into adding a method of saving these user options if it's useful, but
it's not there yet :)

Kind Regards,
Sam