Petitboot quote parsing

Guilherme G. Piccoli gpiccoli at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Sep 17 04:10:15 AEST 2016

Hi, I have a question about quote parsing.

I tried to add a dynamic debug entry in my grub.cfg to allow some
debugging during kernel boot, but Petitboot isn't parsing the necessary
quotes in my dyndbg parameter on cmdline, no matter how hard I try.

I added the following to my Ubuntu's /etc/default/grub.cfg:
dyndbg=\"file arch/powerpc/kernel/pci* +p\"

Then, grub-mkconfig generated my grub.cfg and added the following (it
parsed the escape):
dyndbg="file arch/powerpc/kernel/pci* +p"

Petitboot however, when parsed that grub.cfg generated a boot cmdline
with: dyndbg=file arch/powerpc/kernel/pci* +p
Basically it removed the quotes.

Then, I tried different: I manually set my grub.cfg with escapes, so it
showed as: dyndbg=\"file arch/powerpc/kernel/pci* +p\"
I expected that this way Petitboot would parse the escape, keeping the
quotes. Instead, it just didn't show any option on UI, so I needed to
manually kexec the kernel from mounted partition heheh.
Petitboot mounted the partition fine, but seemed unable to parse the
"escaped" quotes.

Now, my question is how can I achieve this quote insertion on cmdline
provided from Petitboot to Ubuntu kernel? Any hint will be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,

Guilherme