Where's the docs?

Samuel Mendoza-Jonas sam at mendozajonas.com
Tue Dec 20 13:45:52 AEDT 2016

On Mon, 2016-12-19 at 14:26 +0100, Michal Suchánek wrote:
> As is the case with such BIOS help screens they are 95% redundant to the
> information already presented on the screen for which they give help.

What information do you find is lacking from either the documentation or the
help screens? I can then look into making it more helpful and propagating it
out to the main documentation.

> > > So what it actually does it that it scans any devices it finds for
> > > any bootloader configuration it understands. Then it picks by some
> > > undefined algorithm a default system to boot and timeout.
> >
> > Petitboot picks what to boot based on a) the device priority you have
> > selected and b) the default option specified by the bootloader
> > configuration. Do you know which version of Petitboot (or the IBM
> > firmware) you are running? You should see that the device boot order
> > is configurable in the "System Configuration" screen.
>
> Options set on the CUI screens don't persist across reboots so the
> order is effectively whatever petitboot picks by default. Since the
> default order is not documented it's effectively random from user's
> point of view.
>
> Petitboot (dev.20150921)

Something definitely isn't right with your system then, configuration changes
should persist without any issue. I see you're running a relatively older
version, as a first step try updating to the latest firmware release.
If you're on an FSP-based machine that's FW860, or OP810/OP820 if you're on
an OpenPOWER machine.

If that doesn't make a difference open an issue on
https://github.com/open-power/petitboot, post
	/var/log/petitboot/pb-discover.log
	/var/log/messages
	/sys/firmware/opal/msglog
and we'll track down what's going on there.