Where's the docs?

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Sat Dec 17 05:17:47 AEDT 2016

Hello,

it seems IBM has adopted Petitboot as part of their server firmware.

I totally hate it. There is no documentation whatsoever.

I found this page

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/geoff/petitboot/petitboot.html

which has a few "man pages" with no information whatsoever how to use
the software and a few presentations scattered over the net boasting
how awesome this thing is.

So what it actually does it that it scans any devices it finds for any
bootloader configuration it understands. Then it picks by some
undefined algorithm a default system to boot and timeout.

So to boot the system *you* want to boot you connect to the virtual
console, put a mug on your keyboard in case the timeout picked is very
short, select the system in the menu, etc.

There is an option to add and remove boot menu entries in the cui.
Sadly, I found no way to just pick the default. Also any changes are
lost on reboot, anyway.

Is there any documentation on using petitboot at all?

Since you already went to the length of writing a bootloader that you
present as almost the next best thing since sliced bread could you share
enough information about it so one can get at least the functionality of
the legacy PC BIOS?

Thanks

Michal