[OpenPower-Firmware] How to flash openPOWER on a Habanero system (8348-21C)

Nick Singer nsinger at suse.de
Wed Jan 27 03:46:52 AEDT 2021

Hello everybody,

I'm currently trying to update petitboot as it can't find (newer?) grub
entries any longer. For this I successfully build openPOWER with the
latest version which still has Habanero support (tag v2.5).

>From what I found out so far I need to use the pflash utility
(https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/tree/master/external/pflash) to
flash this newer build. Unfortunately this results in the following error:

nsinger at QA-Power8-4-kvm:~/git/skiboot/external/pflash> sudo ./pflash -e
-p /home/nsinger/git/skiboot/external/pflash/habanero_update.pnor
About to erase 0x00000000..0x02000000 !
WARNING ! This will modify your HOST flash chip content !
Enter "yes" to confirm:yes
Erasing...
[                                                  ] 0%mtd_erase: IOCTL
to kernel failed! Input/output error
Failed to blocklevel_smart_erase(): 3

dmesg/mtd also logs the following: `[97148.322331] mtd mtd0:
opal_flash_async_op(op=2) failed (rc -6)`

the kernel on the system is 5.3.18 running openSUSE Leap 15.2 with a
self-build version of pflash from master.

Now I wonder if I'm doing something completely wrong or if I hit some bug?

Thanks in advance and best regards,
  Nick