[OpenPower-Firmware] How to flash openPOWER on a Habanero system (8348-21C)

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Mon Feb 8 06:09:52 AEDT 2021

> On Feb 5, 2021, at 4:22 AM, Nick Singer <nsinger at suse.de> wrote:
>
> Hey all,
>
>> Am 02.02.21 um 19:36 schrieb Klaus Heinrich Kiwi:
>> Didn't realize Nick wasn't cc'ed in Dan's email, so adding him now.
>
> Thanks! I've followed the archives so I found it anyway :)

>>> Nick,
>>>
>>>   any updates here? Have you tried to update through the BMC?
>
> I didn't consider it as
> https://github.com/open-power/op-build/issues/848#issuecomment-276980698
> states that the HPM format is not build by op-build. The second option I
> have in the BMC is "AMI" which seems to be proprietary and signed. At
> least when I tried to upload my pnor file it complained about unsigned code.

Use pflash from a shell on the BMC. The web UI has these formats there and they just get in the way.

pflash and a raw image (the .pnor that op-build produces) will do the “make the flash chip EXACTLY THIS” nice heavy hammer approach and get rid of any “smarts” that the web UI has.

The only practical thing you lose by using pflash is the preservation of NVRAM, which is only going to have any settings you set in petitboot for boot device preferences.