[OpenPower-Firmware] How to flash openPOWER on a Habanero system (8348-21C)

Nick Singer nsinger at suse.de
Fri Feb 5 23:22:20 AEDT 2021

Hey all,

Am 02.02.21 um 19:36 schrieb Klaus Heinrich Kiwi:
> Didn't realize Nick wasn't cc'ed in Dan's email, so adding him now.

Thanks! I've followed the archives so I found it anyway :)

> On 2/2/2021 3:35 PM, Klaus Heinrich Kiwi wrote:
>>> have you tried flashing the PNOR from the BMC? IIRC that's how I have
>>> updated mine.
>>>

>> Nick,
>>
>>   any updates here? Have you tried to update through the BMC?

I didn't consider it as
https://github.com/open-power/op-build/issues/848#issuecomment-276980698
states that the HPM format is not build by op-build. The second option I
have in the BMC is "AMI" which seems to be proprietary and signed. At
least when I tried to upload my pnor file it complained about unsigned code.

>> What skiboot version are you using? There was a fix on 5.4.0 that
>> could be related:
>> https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/issues/44
>>
>> (it might mean you need to pair the pflash utility with the skiboot
>> version
>> you are currently using)

After you mentioning this I tried several versions of pflash. Starting
from a very old release (early 5.x, as I couldn't build 4.x) up to the
latest release and even tried master. Some of the older versions
couldn't even retrieve the information (./pflash -i) while the later
where perfectly able to do this. Also reading out the pnor works
flawlessly (I took a "backup" with pflash as well as with dd from
/dev/mtd0).

>> Thanks,
>>
>>   -Klaus

I also read that flash devices might be locked and one can unlock them
with "flash_unlock" from mtd-utils but this just yielded: "error 95
(Operation not supported)" so I guess it does not apply to power8 chips.

Any other ideas what I could try out?