[OpenPower-Firmware] How to flash openPOWER on a Habanero system (8348-21C)

Klaus Heinrich Kiwi klaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Wed Feb 3 05:35:38 AEDT 2021

On 1/26/2021 2:39 PM, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jan 2021 17:46:52 +0100
> Nick Singer <nsinger at suse.de> wrote:
>
>> Hello everybody,
>>
>> I'm currently trying to update petitboot as it can't find (newer?) grub
>> entries any longer. For this I successfully build openPOWER with the
>> latest version which still has Habanero support (tag v2.5).
>>
>>  From what I found out so far I need to use the pflash utility
>> (https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/tree/master/external/pflash) to
>> flash this newer build. Unfortunately this results in the following error:
>
> have you tried flashing the PNOR from the BMC? IIRC that's how I have
> updated mine.

Nick,

  any updates here? Have you tried to update through the BMC?

> 		Dan
>
>> nsinger at QA-Power8-4-kvm:~/git/skiboot/external/pflash> sudo ./pflash -e
>> -p /home/nsinger/git/skiboot/external/pflash/habanero_update.pnor
>> About to erase 0x00000000..0x02000000 !
>> WARNING ! This will modify your HOST flash chip content !
>> Enter "yes" to confirm:yes
>> Erasing...
>> [                                                  ] 0%mtd_erase: IOCTL
>> to kernel failed! Input/output error
>> Failed to blocklevel_smart_erase(): 3
>>
>> dmesg/mtd also logs the following: `[97148.322331] mtd mtd0:
>> opal_flash_async_op(op=2) failed (rc -6)`

What skiboot version are you using? There was a fix on 5.4.0 that could be related:
https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/issues/44

(it might mean you need to pair the pflash utility with the skiboot version
you are currently using)

Thanks,

  -Klaus

--