[OpenPower-Firmware] Request for blackbird-xml project under open-power/

Klaus Heinrich Kiwi klaus at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Sat Mar 28 06:11:33 AEDT 2020

Stewart,

On 12/24/2019 12:04 AM, Stewart Smith wrote:
> https://github.com/open-power/op-build/commit/592eff791509d66525aea78ae8d35e99c8626a56 merged in support for the Blackbird platform, but there's no https://github.com/open-power/blackbird-xml project so unless you provide overrides when building, the normal "op-build blackbird_defconfig; op-build" process will fail.
>
> I'm happy to maintain a mirror under open-power/ of Raptor's XML tree, as well as any branch/forking that's needed for upstream development.

apologies for taking so long to answer this.

We had a few discussions internally about whether we should be hosting
non-IBM or non-OpenPower reference machine definitions within
github.com/open-power.

And to be quite frankly, that is not yet completely pacified - so I
welcome any arguments in favor or against it.

For the time being, what I can offer is to create the blackbird-xml
repository and maintain it. I'd need your initial contribution as a
signed-off PR, and I'd be happy to review and commit future PRs as well.

We don't have Blackbirds as part of our CI, so we can't guarantee NOT to
break you with changes. Hopefully that is something we could improve at
some point.

Is that acceptable?

Thanks,

   -Klaus