[OpenPower-Firmware] SRESET and idle CPU

Artem Senichev a.senichev at yadro.com
Fri Jul 24 20:14:07 AEST 2020

Hi all,

Our customers want to be able to initiate kdump on a POWER9 host system from BMC console.
I tried to implement this functionality with an SRESET signal sent through the pdbg utility, but it turned out that when the CPU is in an idle state (sleep), the signal could not be delivered.

I can disable the idle state on a host:

for i in /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpuidle/state*/disable; do
  echo 1 > $i
done

and then send SRESET from BMC:

pdbg -p0 -c0 -t0 stop
pdbg -p0 -c0 -t0 sreset

This solution works fine, but I need to do it without interfering with the host system.
Is it possible?

--
Regards,
Artem Senichev