[OpenPower-Firmware] Dropping Power8 in op-build

Artem Senichev artemsen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 20:05:02 AEDT 2020

On Thu, Jan 2, 2020 at 10:24 PM Stewart Smith <stewart at flamingspork.com>
wrote:

> > On 1 Jan 2020, at 23:26, Joel Stanley <joel at jms.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > Hello openpower firmware list,
> >
> > I maintain the buildroot overlay used in op-build, which normally
> > follows upstream releases. Buildroot 2019.05 was the last release with
> > GCC 6 support and hostboot for Power8 does not build with newer
> > versions of GCC, so in order to keep Power8 in the tree we've not
> > moved forward for some time now.
>
> It’d probably be good to tag a final op-build before cutting p8 off, as
> there are platforms still used and maintained (vesnin).

I would suggest to create a P8 branch in op-build, like it has been done
for OCC and hostboot.
Actually, we don't have any significant plans for P8, but as long as I have
to support our VESNIN platform I can also maintain this branch by merging
critical fixes from Skiboot, petitboot etc.

--
Best regards,
Artem Senichev