[OpenPower-Firmware] Infiniband network boot kernel config additions

Daniel M. Weeks weeksd2 at rpi.edu
Fri Apr 17 08:37:25 AEST 2020

On 4/16/20 5:34 PM, Dan Horák wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 17:09:18 -0400
> "Daniel M. Weeks" <weeksd2 at rpi.edu> wrote:
>
>> Below are the kernel config additions I used to add mlx5, ipoib, and
>> userspace support to netboot via Infiniband. I'm not sure what the
>> best method is to add these options.
>>
>> I expect the selection to be somewhat platform dependent but the
>> kernel configs are not as fine-grained as the platform configs.
>> (Where the userspace components can be added per-platform.)
>>
>> ---
>>
>> CONFIG_INFINIBAND=m
>> CONFIG_MLX5_INFINIBAND=m
>> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB=m
>> CONFIG_INFINIBAND_IPOIB_DEBUG=y
>
> I don't think the skiroot kernel should have *_DEBUG enabled, size
> matters there.

Agreed. I missed that when sending; it's leftover from early testing
(firmware that didn't handle kexec gracefully).

> The Infiniband enabled skiroot kernel config could go into
> openpower/custom/configs in op-build.

That's how I have it setup now for my purposes. I figure if this feature
is in the tree at some point, then some platforms may include it and not
others. However, it appears almost all platforms share
skiroot_defconfig. Maybe it could just be included for all platforms but
I had a similar concern as above where it could bloat some platforms too
much.

--
Daniel M. Weeks
Lead HPC Developer