[OpenPower-Firmware] Hardware documentation

Marty E. Plummer hanetzer at startmail.com
Fri Oct 18 11:39:44 AEDT 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 06:23:29PM -0500, Daniel M Crowell wrote:

> > xscom read/writes are the lowest form of access and everything else is
> built upon that?
> Correct, when running from the host itself xscom is where everything really
> starts.

Ok, good to know. Judging by hostboot and skiboot the protocol is more
or less the same for both, just different magic registers.

> > Ah, that's interesting. Is that something 'baked in' (for the most part)
> > that would be the same regardless of what firmware is running on it
> Not exactly what you mean but I think the answer is yes.  There is a
> keyword in the module vpd (PG) that is filled in when the module is
> initially tested.  That tells you which cores (or other pieces of logic
> potentially) tested good and can be used.  Physically every processor chip
> could have 24 cores but physics dictates that you rarely get all 24 of them
> to yield.  The PG keyword is what tells us which physical resources in the
> chip we can use.  The initial SBE image that is shipped with the module
> will have the list of good cores programmed into it so that it always
> starts a good core.  Once Hostboot takes over we can reprogram the SBE
> image to choose a different core if we find a problem with the first one.
> The contents of the VPD are really firmware agnostic, other than the
> firmware understanding how to interpret the data.  There is nothing baked
> into the processor hardware itself that knows what is good or bad, firmware
> has to interpret the VPD and use that to finish the boot.

Interesting. Is there a simple way to read the vpd from say a linux
userspace? Either host or bmc.

On another note, is there any plans to move hostboot/skiboot to the new
elfv2 abi? (well, I don't know when it came out, but as far as I can
tell hostboot uses elfv1)