[OpenPower-Firmware] Further information about hostboot

Marty E. Plummer hanetzer at startmail.com
Thu Aug 22 09:23:42 AEST 2019

Hello.

After making some progress coreboot-side on being able to enter their
code path using 'stock' seeprom images (I've hopefully put together a
way to wrap coreboot.rom in ffs style headers to make hostboot bootloader
load our bootblock) I was hoping for some more information on various
things.

So, if I understand correctly, the directory src/bootloader is what
produces the hostboot bootloader image on the seeprom, and src/kernel
is what produces the HBB partition on the pnor, right? (I've marked the
bootblock in coreboot as HBB to make hbbl load it).

In addition, I'm not sure how src/kernel/kernel.C:106's main function
carries on as the last instruction is kernel_dispatch_task() which is
marked as having 'no return', am I misunderstanding something?

Also, could someone elaborate how one reads/writes the scom on a power9
system? I'm having trouble following the c++ code involved due to all
the indirection. A simple assembly or c example would be quite helpful.

Regards,
Marty