[OpenPower-Firmware] [RFC] Drop untested graphic support from the build

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.ibm.com
Wed Aug 22 14:51:13 AEST 2018

Paul Menzel <pmenzel+openpower-firmware at molgen.mpg.de> writes:
> On 08/21/18 06:53, Stewart Smith wrote:
>> Paul Menzel <pmenzel+openpower-firmware at molgen.mpg.de> writes:
>>>
>>> I do not understand the sentence.
>>
>> Tuleta is the name for the S812L, S822L etc servers that IBM released as
>> the first POWER8 systems. Allegedly you can purchase these with some
>> really old Radeon card, although we've never had one in the LTC to be
>> able to check if graphics come out.
>
> Thank you for the explanation, but I only meant the last version.
>
>> To save all systems are paying for the kernel driver,
>
> A verb seems to have snucked in. But What is paid? The image size?

Yeah, image size and boot time.

We don't really get multiple megabytes per second loading off flash, and
the bootkernel image is close to 16mb. Additionally, the initramfs takes
about 2.5 seconds to decompress.

I believe Raptor has an out of tree change that adds another partition
on flash for optional firmware components such as the binary only blobs
from the linux-firmware package. I'd love to see that go upstream.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.