[OpenPower-Firmware] [RFC] Drop untested graphic support from the build

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.ibm.com
Tue Aug 21 14:53:53 AEST 2018

Paul Menzel <pmenzel+openpower-firmware at molgen.mpg.de> writes:
> On 08/20/18 08:54, Joel Stanley wrote:
>> Back in the day Tuletta (P8) machines would use Radeon GPU drivers. No
>> one has tested this in many moons. To save all systems are paying for
>> the kernel driver,
>
> I do not understand the sentence.

Tuleta is the name for the S812L, S822L etc servers that IBM released as
the first POWER8 systems. Allegedly you can purchase these with some
really old Radeon card, although we've never had one in the LTC to be
able to check if graphics come out.

>> disable it in the kernel configuration and drop the
>> firmware from the firenze, pseries and zz configurations.
>>
>> A similar story applies for Matrox cards.
>>
>> If someone comes hunting for support in the future they can revert this
>> commit.
>
> Isn’t the TALOS II testing the code with AMD graphics devices?

I'd like to see all their code upstream, as I think we need to ensure we
have the correct firmware blobs for the cards that are supported.

Currently though, a bunch of the code isn't upstream, so we can't really
be sure what is and isn't being used.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.