[OpenPower-Firmware] Generate a dump of the Linux kernel on host OS (P8)

Artem Senichev artemsen at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 18:14:30 AEST 2018

Hi all,

I need the ability to generate a dump of the Linux kernel on host OS
using a command from BMC.

As far as I know, the dump is generated as part of NMI handler in the
Linux Kernel.
The NMI handler is configured at startup and depends on
OPAL_SIGNAL_SYSTEM_RESET support flag:
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/blob/master/arch/powerpc/platforms/powernv/smp.c#L391

Currently, only P9 supports the system reset signal feature:
https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/master/core/direct-controls.c#L810
But function p9_sreset_cpu() uses calls with branches depending on CPU
gen, for example dctl_sreset() calls p8_sreset_thread() or
p8_sreset_thread():
https://github.com/open-power/skiboot/blob/master/core/direct-controls.c#L636

So, I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there exist an IPMI command which I can send to the OPAL to
generate the dump?
2. Is it possible to implement P8 support for OPAL_SIGNAL_SYSTEM_RESET feature?

--
Artem Senichev
Software Engineer, YADRO.