[OpenPower-Firmware] moving op-build dev from master-next to master

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Tue Jan 17 08:21:33 AEDT 2017

On Wed, Jan 11, 2017 at 05:03:15PM +1100, Stewart Smith wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Currently, all new development work goes into op-build master-next
> branch before moving to master close to the time where we tag a release.
>
> This is rather different to literally every other project that uses git.

'man gitworkflows' says:

       * next is intended as a testing branch for topics being tested
         for stability for master.

The sounds to me pretty similar to what we are doing, except maybe the
longevity of master vs master-next might be longer in our case.

> It's time we change.

What are we accomplishing with this change?  Is the problem simply a
matter of names?

> After 1.14 (due Jan 18th), unless there's any strong objections, we'll
> enact the following:
>
> - pull requests start going to master: it's where development happens.
> - master-next branch is deleted

We lose out on having a temporary place for stability fixes to be placed
just before tagging while testing is done.  I hope you are not
suggesting that we just stop merging code for a week while we sort this
out.

Do we simply need to change 'master' to 'release' and 'master-next' to
'master' to make you happy?  There is value in having 'master' and
'master-next' be fairly similar.  Usually after tagging, I'll merge any
'master' stability fixes into 'master-next' so that git-describe on
'master-next' is still of a form representing the most recent tag.

> - a vendor doing a release should branch off the most recent tagged
>   release.

How is this different from what is being done today?

> - stable branches, like v1.10.y will continue as-is

Have we observed any uptake of these?  Is the real value in doing this
or is it just needless work?  I know we've only been doing them for a
short time.

--

There are also tools we need to get changed over.  I do not think tying
to a particular release is required other than maybe it gives you a nice

--
Patrick Williams