[OpenPower-Firmware] skiroot images size

Joel Stanley joel at jms.id.au
Thu Apr 28 15:14:00 AEST 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 7:26 AM, Dave Heller
<hellerda at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:
> It's off the topic but I'm curious to know how you got a zImage.epapr so
> small.  I'm getting one about 1MB larger when I build with
> habanero_defconfig.

Looking at the latest build: https://openpower.xyz/job/openpower-op-build/64/

Habanero: 15369504
Palmetto: 14169376

In bytes.

Looking at the defconfig differences, aside from product names:
$ diff -up openpower/configs/{habanero,palmetto}_defconfig
-BR2_ENABLE_LOCALE_WHITELIST="C de en es fr it ja ko pt_BR ru zh_CN zh_TW"
-BR2_GENERATE_LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8 de_DE.UTF-8 es_ES.UTF-8 fr_FR.UTF-8
it_IT.UTF-8 ja_JP.UTF-8 ko_KR.UTF-8 pt_BR.UTF-8 ru_RU.UTF-8
zh_CN.UTF-8 zh_TW.UTF-8"
+BR2_ENABLE_LOCALE_WHITELIST="C en_US"
+BR2_GENERATE_LOCALE="en_US.UTF-8"

So we keep more locales in the habanero builds. This makes sense as
the palmetto was the limited run development platform that was
probably not seen by many people outside of the US and Australia.

Cheers,

Joel