Request for a new vue3 branch in webui-vue

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Jun 27 08:10:45 AEST 2024

On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 02:57:25PM -0700, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 2:40 PM Patrick Williams <patrick at stwcx.xyz> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 26, 2024 at 02:46:29PM -0600, Gunnar M wrote:
> > > Kiran and his team have volunteered to sync patches merged to master to this new 'vue3' branch bi-weekly. Thank you, Kiran! When the migration to Vue 3 is complete, and all commits are synced over, this 'vue3' branch will become the 'master' branch.
> >
> > We need to be careful about how we do this.  You don't want it to appear
> > on github as a rewrite of the "master" branch and we absolutely need to
> > at least keep the vue2 code in some branch so that it doesn't get pruned
> > from the github history.  If we don't do this, it will become impossible
> > for people to build older OpenBMC releases.
> >
> > I would suggest either:
> >
> >     a. We do the opposite: create a 'vue2' branch and update the recipe
> >        to point at it.
> >
> >     b. We use this as an opportunity to migrate from 'master' to 'main'
> >        and use 'main' as the vue3 branch.
>

> My expectation was that this branch continues to rebase in patches,
> and once ready to merge, we would just rebase the series on top of
> master before pushing it so there's no discontinuity, no merge commit,
> and autobump would just pick it up.

We would have to give "Kiran and his team" permissions in Gerrit to
force-push to the "vue3" branch in order to facilitate these rebases.
It also means potentially unreviewed content ends up in the branch due
to this permission.

I'm okay with going this route but wanted to make sure everyone is aware
of the implications.

--
Patrick Williams