Help with IPMB (IPMI over I2C).

Alexander A. Filippov a.filippov at yadro.com
Thu Jun 20 22:36:06 AEST 2024

On Thu, Jun 20, 2024 at 10:43:59AM +0000, Bala Subramaniyan wrote:
> Hi All,

Hi,

> For one of our requirement (BMC to BMC, IPMI over I2C), We're exploring with IPMITOOL<https://github.com/openbmc/ipmitool>.
>
> Development Board: ASPEED AST2600 EVB
>
> Could you please suggest us how to proceed further with our below requirement.
>
>   1.
> BMC to BMC (IPMI over I2C), One BMC as Master and other as slave.
>   2.
> Send/Receive IPMI commands through IPMITOOL<https://github.com/openbmc/ipmitool> from one BMC to other.
>   3.
> Send/Receive SDR, SEL logs between two BMC's.
>
> Any help would be highly appreciated.

As I can see, ipmitool has no any interfaces using i2c directly and I never
listen about using i2c as the ipmi transport.

Google shows me that the similar question already exists and answered:
  https://github.com/ipmitool/ipmitool/discussions/296

As an alternative, You could use lan/lanplus interfaces to communicate with
remote BMC via ethernet.

--
Regads,
Alexander Filippov