Documentation/Guidance in order to support another hardware

Patrick Williams patrick at stwcx.xyz
Thu Nov 2 01:30:57 AEDT 2023

On Wed, Nov 01, 2023 at 07:19:50AM -0600, Andrew Geissler wrote:
> > On Oct 31, 2023, at 4:40 AM, <Hakim.Cherif at microchip.com> <Hakim.Cherif at microchip.com> wrote:

> > To give you more details, we already have our own meta-layer that is meta-atmel :
> >
> > https://github.com/linux4sam/meta-atmel/tree/kirkstone
>

> I’m not sure what we’d do here. We run some scripts periodically to import other meta layers
> Like meta-openembedded, poky, meta-arm, … so in theory we could add this too but
> It may be better for you to just create what you need directly in openbmc under a new
> meta-microchip directory.

Since meta-atmel is using Kirkstone, there is absolutely no way we can
import this into our tree as a sub-tree like we do with meta-OE, etc.
We need to have confidence that the trees we import are going to keep in
line with upstream Yocto releases.

There appears to be a `master` branch in this repo.  But, since the
LAYERSERIES_COMPAT doesn't include "nanbield", I'm not convinced it is
actually aligned with Yocto's master.

--
Patrick Williams